Friday, September 6, 2013

Review: MAC 'Illustrated' Face Kit by Rebecca Moses | Plum (LimitedEdition)

The moment i saw MAC's Illustrated Collection by Rebecca Moses, i immediately wanted to get the plum face kit! But since it cost so much here in the Philippines (PHP 3,800 = USD 85.70), i tried(!) to convince myself that i don't need this palette. However, after a week of psyching myself out (mentally listing the makeups in my collection and thus giving myself reasons NOT to buy), my EQ finally gave in to that persistent voice to get this pretty box of goodies!!! Happy me!!! ^_^ (i was all smiles at the store!)


The cover is made of cloth (can you see the threads?) but it was wrapped so tight that the feel is almost as smooth as plastic. However, dirty hands are still a no-no.
Btw, there are 2 face kits in this year's Illustrated collection, this plum kit and the brown kit. The plum kit being cool toned, has blue pupils on the cover. While the warm toned brown face kit has green pupils in the cover. I think this is such a bright idea since you don't have to look at the label nor open the palette to know which is which in case you have both kits. ^_^

The back side:

Zooming on the palette label / details:

The carton it comes with have step-by-step instructions on how to use the eyeshadows:

And here are the beauties!!!
With the lippies cover down:

With the lippies cover up:

With this little cover thingy, the lippies wont be ruined by eyeshadow dusts ^_^

The reason why i love this palette so much that i have to have it even with its price tag is because it is such a complete kit with all colors useable! On parties or any events, i can just bring this kit instead of 6 different items. ^_^

The blush:
Mocha - a soft plum pink (matte). This last for about 4 hrs on my oily cheeks before i need to retouch.

The eyeshadows are:
Yogurt - a soft pale pink (matte). This shade is so pretty and a perfect natural looking brow bone highlighter for me! 
Plum Reduction - a light brown (satin). I can use this just on its own
Sparkling Plum - a plum with gold pearlized pigments (lustre). Not overly shimmery, gives just the right amount of 'shine'
Heather Belles - an intense black (satin). Sheer on first application but buildable. I actually like that the formula is like this since it gives me more control on intensity (i.e. no raccoon eyes!)
Not sure if its because i applied the shadows lightly and i didn't use eye primer but i need to retouch after 2 hrs to keep the colors fresh.

The lippies:
Blankety - a soft pink beige (amp). This is too light for my skintone and tends to make me look anemic lady. I'll just use it over syrup if i want to lighten it a bit.
Syrup - a cloudy pink (lustre). Perfect! I love the color and how it pulls together the whole look of the palette. ^_^
Amplified and lustre finish aren't long wearing (on me) so i need to retouch after 1.5-2 hours.

Possible looks designed by MAC artists:

The kit in action:
I tried to follow the instructions on the carton for the eyes
(although i skipped the eyeliner and mascara part and just applied heather belles lightly :P)

Using blankety l/s (see how it made my lips pale? 
But if i have a really dark smokey eye it will work just fine:

Using syrup l/s:


Other products used for this look:
Smashbox Primer Light
MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation (NC20)
MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural (Medium)
K-Palette 1-Day Eyebrow Tattoo Liquid (Brown-Gray)
James Cooper Jazzy Collection blush as contour (BF-04)


2 comments:

  1. You look awesome! Thanks for the great reivew. I'm not sure I want it since it has a cloth cover, so thanks for pointing that out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! :) The cloth is treated with waterproofing but the grains/grooves will still pickup dirt/dust. I hope that helps :)

      Delete